Scaling, Root Planing and Curettage
You have just received a thorough scaling of all plaque and hard deposits (tartar) from beneath the gumline. Root planing and curettage smoothes root surfaces and removes unhealthy tissue so that healthy gum tissue may heal next to the cleaned and smooth tooth surface. This has been done in an attempt to improve your periodontal condition by reducing some of the pocketing present. Post-procedure home care instructions are as follows:
- WARM SALT WATER RINSES: Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 6-8 ounces of warm water. Swish with the solution for a minute, expectorate, and then rinse with plain water. This should be done after each meal and after your daily home care of flossing and brushing and should be continued 2 to 3 days after treatment. This can be used past this time if bleeding upon home care persists
- ORAL HYGIENE: Before bedtime, softly brush your teeth with a toothbrush that has been softened with hot water. Start flossing the next morning. Normal flossing and tooth brushing can then continue as recommended. There may be some discomfort but don’t be discouraged. This will usually last only 1 to 2 days after treatment.
- DIET: Soft foods are best at first. Try to eat on the opposite side of the treated area for 1 to 2 days. Avoid hot foods and drinks for 24 hours. Spicy foods may also cause some discomfort. Please avoid popcorn, nuts and seeds. These hard items get into the pocket areas and may impede the healing process.
- HEALING: A supplement of 500 mg of vitamin C with each meal can be helpful in regenerating healthy tissue 2 weeks after each procedure. Smoking, alcohol and caffeine may impede the healing process.
- MEDICATION: Advil or Tylenol is normally sufficient for pain or any discomfort. Call us if it is not.
- TOOTH SENSITIVITY: Since the tooth and root surfaces have been cleaned of debris, it is possible that some sensitivity may occur. This discomfort is almost always temporary and using toothpaste for sensitive teeth (such as Sensodyne or Denquel) can be helpful